Fascia Boards | What You Need To Know | Kents Direct | UK
Everything You Need To Know About Fascia Boards
Ever thought about maintaining the roof of your home yourself? The good news is that it’s not as hard as it looks.
There is a basic process that should be followed and a lot the maintenance comes down to the type of roof that you already have installed – including the fascia boards.
Here’s everything you need to know about fascia boards, something that’s vital to the well-being of your roof.
What is the fascia board?
First of all, you’re going to need to know exactly where the fascia board is on your roof. Go outside, and look up at your roof.
There’s the main tiled section of your roof, then there’s a board that runs directly under the roof line. This is the fascia board, and it should run the entire way around the roof.
Attached underneath this will be the soffit, which attaches at the bottom and covers the space between the fascia and the wall.
What do fascia boards do?
So, what’s the point of a fascia board? There’s several reasons why they’re installed:
– Fascia boards support the roof tiles at the eaves level, ensuring that the roof is supported properly.
– They provide a place to attach guttering and direct water away from the roof.
– They serve a cosmetic purpose, as a well kept fascia can make a house look more attractive.
– They serve an important purpose of keeping water out of the roof, avoiding rot, mould and other water related issues.
What are they made out of?
Traditionally, fascia boards were made out of wood. These did look very attractive, and they were used for decades. However, your roof can be vulnerable if you’re using wooden fascia boards.
In more recent times, metal and uPVC boards have become much more popular. These are an improvement over wooden boards, as they can repel much more water and poor weather than older boars can.
They can also be made in any colour or style that you require. They can even be given a wood grain finish, if you want a wooden look without the risk. They last much longer, so they’re a much more attractive replacement.
Why should you maintain your fascia?
There’s several reasons why you’d want to maintain the fascia on your roof. These include:
– A well maintained fascia will keep water out of your roof, prolonging its lifespan and avoiding large spending on repairs.
– They look much more attractive, meaning that your home looks better to buyers if you’re looking to sell.
– They’re much more able to support gutters properly, meaning water is directed away from the roof effectively.
If you inspect the fascia boards regularly then your roof will last for a substantial period of time, saving you money in the long haul. Get in touch with us at Kents Building Plastics if you want to find out more information about purchasing fascia boards.